Monday, September 18, 2006

September's Saturday Women's Fellowship: Praise

Candace Johnson shared her testimony with us. She talked about the seed of God being planted in her heart at a Billy Graham crusade, but that it never grew because it was never watered or nurtured with solid Bible teaching.

Lara taught us a devotional on Praise, specifically praise to God for who He is. One of the Hebrew words for praise (ya-da) means to look up or offer up and also has the idea of shooting arrows up. By teaching us the meanings of a few of the names of God, all of which show His praiseworthy character, we used Psalm 116:1 to write our own Psalm of praise!

Jehovah/YHWH: The name too holy/sacred for the Jews to even utter! The Great I AM
Jehovah-Shalom: God of Peace. The Most Holy God reaching out to sinful man with the offer of Peace with Him.
Jehovah-Jireh: The God who provides. All our needs graciously provided for.
Jehovah-Tsidkenu: God, our righteousness. Because we fall short, He is our righteousness.
Jehovah-Nissi: God, our banner. Going before us in battle. Preparing the way for us!
Alpha-Omega: The beginning and the end. God sees the whole picture of life as if looking down upon a timeline or from an airplane looking at a parade. He is not surprised by anything, He sees it all!

So take some time and shoot off some arrow of praise to God, or write him a love note! If you start with "I love You, Lord because..." you'll fill a page up before you know it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed another one. Last Saturday was Colleen Caudill's memorial service, Patrick and all the childred came.
Are you recording these?
Rhonda

Hill Family said...

Wish I could have been there too. I sure miss the women of CCFB.
Heather

The Jaffuels said...

Miss all of you...I often forget to just praise Him...so easy to just pray for needs. So much He has "already" done....Lisa